Pre-Entries close: 31 May 2018
Early Bird entries close: 31 March 2018
2018 will be the 4th year running of the Trans Elands MTB Marathon “the original 100 miler MTB marathon”. With our title sponsor Tiletoria having come onboard in 2017, we have rebranded to Tiletoria Trans Elands.
The race was founded by Lex Holmes, who sadly passed away on 31 December 2016. The great turnout of riders for the 2017 event is evidence of firstly the influence that Lex has had over many years in mountain biking circles throughout the Eastern Cape and secondly the dedication and commitment of the new organising team to continue with and grow Lex’s legacy.
The 160km “Extreme” MTB marathon with 3000m of elevation gain is one of South Africa’s and certainly the Eastern Cape’s toughest one-day mountain biking events. The event is a true test of a rider’s physical and mental capability, but with adequate preparation it is an achievable challenge. To finish this “bucket list” event within the 12-hour time limit leaves one with a sense of reward and satisfaction which can only be described by a rider who has achieved this feat. The Tiletoria Trans Elands 160km is the ideal tester for regular MTB marathon riders, perhaps the reason why so many riders have been returning year after year to tackle this event. The 160km event caters for both solo entries and team entries (of two riders per team).
The 60km “Lite” MTB marathon race distance with 1000m of climbing was added in 2017 with great success, and acts as a stepping stone for those who in future years would like to tackle the 160km. The 5-hour time limit allows for riders of varying capability to take part in and complete this 60km event. Riders of the 60km event have adequate time to stop at the well stocked waterpoints and to take in the breath-taking scenery of the Gamtoos River Valley and Kleinrivier area. The 60km event caters for solo entries only.
Event features include, but are not limited to:
- A handsome prize purse of R 20 000
- Tiletoria Trans Elands T-Shirts, free for the first 150 paid up entrants in each race distance
- Race medals to all finishers
- Five fully stocked waterpoints on the Extreme route and three on the Lite
- Professional Photographers along the route
- Mechanical support
- Professional Medical support
- A good vibe, food and refreshments along the route and at the start/finish venue
- A stack of lucky draw prizes, incl. a R 5000 Tiletoria voucher
- Early Bird Lucky Draw prize: 1 Night’s Accommodation + breakfast + lunch @ The Gamtoos Ferry Hotel (for 2 people sharing)
- This is a CSA sanctioned event
“LET’S GET SOME ALTITUDE”